CFUW, WELLAND & DISTRICT

CELEBRATING 75 YEARS in Welland and District

75th_mark

CFUW Welland and District began as the Welland University Women’s Club in 1941 with 19 charter members. Its purpose then, as now, was to promote a group spirit among women and take an active role in public affairs. The club commemorated its 75th anniversary by organizing a display at the Welland museum and by sponsoring the award winning children’s author, Barbara Reid, who gave presentations at the Welland, Pelham and Port Colborne libraries. And our CFUW logo is  on the public flower bed on Prince Charles Drive until the fall.

welland canal main street bridge

executive

WELCOME.

CFUW Welland & District was established in 1941 and is affiliated with the Canadian Federation of University Women, a self-funded, non-profit, non-partisan women’s organization. We are a diverse group of women who share a common purpose: promotion of education, involvement in public affairs, improvement in human rights and the status of women in Canada and abroad as well as encouraging friendship and co-operation among our members.

Our year runs from September to June. Monthly meetings, with a few exceptions, are held on the third Wednesday of the month at 7 p.m. at Plymouth-Cordage Retirement Residence, 110 First St., Welland. A guest speaker is followed by a social break and a business meeting.

In addition to our meetings, members participate in a variety of interest groups and work together at our annual book sale to fund annual scholarships and donate to worthy community projects.

New members are always welcome and visitors are welcome to attend a meeting to hear and see what we are all about. Membership is open to women interested in participating in the club’s programs and activities and who support our purpose. (University education is not a requirement.)

For membership information, click here.